Whether you’re swooning over the strong, sexy vampire, learning how to navigate pack politics with an alpha werewolf, saving the galaxy with a brooding spaceship captain, or conquering any number of magical beasts, if you’re a fan of paranormal, sci-fi, and fantasy, you’re sure to fall in love with Select Otherworld. Here is where you’ll find superior world-building, amazing casts of characters, and romance that will leave you breathless.
Specifically, we want to see:
- High-concept books. Stories that can grab a reader with a one-line description.
- Sexy alpha heroes like military men, cops, wolf shifters, vampires, etc. The kind of men who will sweep you off your feet and into their world, wherever that may be. While we love heroes with an edge, we also love to see their softer side as well!
- Likable, relatable heroines who aren’t pushovers.
- Romance as the primary plot. Secondary characters and subplots are much needed and very welcome, especially as part of a larger paranormal world. Subplots should reinforce the hero and heroine’s journey, but shouldn’t overshadow their story. We also love to see secondary characters receive their own stories down the line!
- Well-developed world-building. Whether you're writing a contemporary science-fiction romance, fantasy, or shifters, world-building is all important. Readers should be able to easily immerse themselves in the world you've created without confusion or the need for long chunks of exposition to describe the setting.
- Heat level. Anything from closed-door romance to steamy sex scenes are welcome, but if the heat level crosses over into Scorched territory, regardless of the genre, Scorched is the correct home for your story. We're always looking for toe-curling romantic tension, regardless of heat level.
- 75k-120k word count. Novellas may be used to supplement full-length series, but will not be considered on a standalone basis.
- Multiple POVs are allowed, though the focus is primarily on the hero and heroine. We are willing to look at other POV structures on a case-by-case basis.
- Unique voices in the vein of JR Ward, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Shelley Laurenston, Richelle Mead, Charlaine Harris, Stephanie Meyer, Marjorie M. Liu, Nalini Singh, and Rachel Caine.
- Movies and TV shows that inspire us: Westworld, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Stranger Things, 12 Monkeys, Lucifer, True Blood, Twilight, Interview with a Vampire, Supernatural, Star Trek, Underworld, Once Upon a Time, Sleepy Hollow, American Horror Story
- We consider backlist or previously published work on a case by case basis.
- We accept both agented and unagented submissions.
Q: Select encompasses several single-title romance imprint, but what’s the difference between a
category romance and a single title romance?
A: Category romances are
generally stripped down to the core romance. They’re shorter (50k-60k), trope-driven, and often follow a
set of “rules” dictated by the imprint/line on which they’re published.
Single-title romances have a longer word count (75k-100k, on average), more secondary characters, subplots, and are the kind
of books you’ll linger over and
savor—not just because of the longer word count, but because of the emotional
depth, and rich world-building.
Q. These are called "single-title" romance. Do you consider series?
A: Single-title romance is a publishing term and doesn’t mean we don’t want connected books. In fact, we’re especially looking for books with series potential.
Q. I write short (50k-60k) YA otherworldly romance. That's not long enough for your Teen imprint, and my characters are too young for Otherworld. Where should I send my manuscript?
A: To our Crave imprint! We're actively acquiring stories like yours.