Scandalous is the historical popular romance imprint of Entangled Publishing. Historical doesn’t mean antiquated! Passion and romance are exciting in any era. And torrid love affairs are even more illicit when social mores forbid the entanglement. These stories are bold, sexy, and heartfelt, and can be funny, action-packed, mysterious, dramatic. But above all...scandalous.
Specifically, we want:
· Proven category tropes. Marriage of convenience, spinster/wallflower, governess, compromised, rake, enemies to lovers, fake engagement, etc.
· Strong Heroes. Stories that feature an alpha male, whether he be royalty, titled, a military hero, a highlander, Viking, club owner...you name it. Dukes, Lairds, Vikings—these are the original alpha men.
· Romance as the primary plot. Stories focused on the heroine and hero falling in love. The pair should be together on page for the majority of the story.
· POV should be split 50/50 between the main protagonists.
· M/F, M/M, F/F or any romance between two people. Give us a great love story!
· Strong conflict. What is keeping these two apart and how do they overcome the obstacles?
· Sensual stories. Closed door scenes are acceptable, but sexual tension must be tight throughout.
· Time periods: Through WWII. Victorian and Regency preferred.
· Heroines who are age 17+, confident, and can be unconventional (a scientist, for example).
· Diversity. Diverse characters are welcomed and encouraged!
· Unique voices in the vein of Tessa Dare, Suzanne Enoch, Lorraine Heath, Meredith Duran, Lisa Kleypas.
The fine print:
· Time travel welcome but alternate/manipulation of history cannot be the focal point
· Manuscripts must be 55-65K words in length.
· Revised backlist titles will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
· We accept agented and un-agented submissions.
Of particular interest at this time:
· The Scottish Highlands. Also, the Regency, Victorian, and Viking time periods.
· Titled rakes/scoundrels/rogues, and the relatable women willing and able to stand up to them.
· Mail-order bride romances
· Series based around a group of friends, sisters, or brothers